- Porter is talking a lot more. Naturally, I think it’s really cute. He says “No fair!” with no idea what that means. He’s just echoing his brothers. He says: Uh oh, naughty toe! New disc! (he doesn’t know what that means either, but in the car it leads to a lot of kerfuffle and excitement) Apple crisp! Butter! (for peanut butter)
- He can answer questions now. Where’s Gilbert? Me to Patrick. Porter, listening in, “Outside.”
- Harlan loves to smile at people. He waits until you’re talking to him, and then he kills you with a smile.
Work is busy, but mostly rewarding. Patrick is busy with work too.
- I tried to watch the debate on Monday. I watched about 20 minutes, and then I gave up, read for class, and followed along on Twitter. I was inspired by the debate to go buy some Hillary merchandise. I hope it’s better than the John Kerry shirt I bought back in the day that had two different sized sleeves.
- I really enjoyed reading Demetria Martinez’s Confessions of a Berlitz Tape Chicana. It filled in a lot of gaps for me on this piece of research I’m working on.
- I’m officially headed to Houston for a conference in February. I’m a bit sad because I’d really like to go to the conference in New York in April (an awesome speaker is slated) but I just cannot do more than one conference a semester. Getting old.
- I agreed to be a supporting room parent for Gilbert’s class. I just want to make the musical costumes again. Should be fun (or make me crazy).
We went to NJ for Irish weekend and a last time at the shore. We checked out the secret beach to great effect. Seamus loves the water and will go in even if it means he’s going to freeze. Gilbert loves collecting shells. Porter liked running on the beach, and Harlan went to sleep in the Ergo. Patrick and I enjoyed the scenery and sunshine.
We had fun riding the rides. The boardwalk is so pleasant when it’s not 98 degrees! We got on the ferry home, and it was fun, but the kids were tired enough to be a bit cranky. Still, we made it and that’s what matters.